Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Tax-a-chusetts

April 15th. The day of reckoning for millions of Americans. We are so happy that our new little nephew decided to be born yesterday and not today so that he can celebrate his birthday forever without any stress (unless he doesn't get his taxes done). I am happy to announce that William and I had our taxes done last week and I only had to wait behind one person at the post office. However, the process this year was quite a struggle for the following reasons
- The first time that we filled jointly as "marrieds"
- we had to fill out 2 state income tax reports- for California and Massachusetts- due to our cross country migration

To be honest, William actually did the taxes but I went over them and checked his work (I really did) but it was such a struggle. The process consumed many of our evenings. We were able to use Turbo Tax for our federal so that actually went fairly quickly, but, due to our switching residencies, we had to do the paper forms. The California one wasn't too bad- it was 4 pages total, but then we got to "Tax-a-chusetts". We literally had to fill out 12 pages (front and back) of tax forms for my very meager salary. And my situation is fairly complex in that I was both a part-time resident and now a non-resident so they had different sets of directions. We're sure glad that we started awhile before or else it would have been nearly impossible to finish them on time. Hopefully (fingers double crossed) next year will be "easier", but my honest guess is that we will just have some other struggles to deal with. I'm so glad that I married a man with a business degree!!!

Oh, and speaking of taxes, I just found out today that California has the highest tax on gasoline- 45 cents- so I guess that I have to cut a little slack for Massachusetts. The premium gas is over $4 so I'm glad that my car can just take the cheaper regular that is still under $4. Good thing that I don't have to commute very far . . . .

2 comments:

Mel said...

Since I was unemployed all last year, I didn't have to file a tax return. But I know what you mean about MA tax returns, I think they have the most complicated filing paperwork.

Matt Sjoblom said...

$4/gal of gas? we just hit $3.50 and I'm already considering digging my own oil well. I mean, it's Houston, there's a chance we're sitting on some Texas-T right?