Monday, May 12, 2008

Go Speed Racer Go!

Movie 2 of May Movie Madness: I had never seen- nor even heard of Speed Racer- until the trailers for the new movie came out. But, our favorite online TV site- HULU- put up old episodes of the original Speed Racer anime series and so we watched them on Friday to prepare ourselves when we saw the new movie in the morning. For those who have never seen the show, they have this disco-esque theme song that repeats over and over "Go Speed Racer! Go Speed Racer! Go Speed Racer -GO-O" Well, don't worry- they even keep parts of the original song and then somewhat make them a little more modern. I'm glad that I saw the original series because it helped me become familiar with the characters and their trademarks that were all kept in the movie.

We discovered at the AMC Mercado near us has a special deal where on Saturdays before noon, you can see any movie for $6! (Still not as good as the Dollar Movies in Utah but very reasonable for CA). We slept in and enjoyed the 11:45 showing :-) We really enjoyed the movie (well, except for some of the extremely cheesy and corny dialog but that's not why we went to the movie) and William especially was sad to see that it didn't do super hot at the box office. I have to vent about this one scene that I can't believe Susan Sarandon acted in- she had this whole conversation with Speed about how racing is an art form and "takes her breath away" and it was just too corn ball for me. I seriously wonder how she made it through the scene without laughing. Anyways, the Wachowski brothers did a great job of creating some really exciting actions scenes using CAR-FU. Its kung fu for cars and it is super cool. They actually have a "Speed Racer" Wii game (of course they have to merchandise it as much as they can) and I am curious to try it out to see if they have the same car fu moves. And don't worry- I didn't let William try out any car fu moves on the 101 freeway

No comments: