Sunday, March 9, 2008

It's Everywhere

Advertising is becoming more and more a part of our daily life. No longer are ads confined to billboards, magazines, newspapers, mail, television, but marketers are now finding new areas to place their advertisements. Like this one that I unexpectedly encountered on my flight back from Phoenix. I got my FREE beverage (they still aren't charging for them . . . yet) and then put down my tray to encounter this ad. It really surprised me because I just wasn't expecting to find an ad for cough drops on my tray. I think that this is a good indicator and advertisements will become more and more prevalent, and in unexpected areas.
Not that this is necessarily a bad thing- some of the ads have been fun. I remember the ones on the T in Boston in between Harvard and Park Street on the Red Line that were actually a moving picture ad. They were really cool and definitely jazzed up your commuting time. I also like this one from the USPS in downtown Palo Alto. The mail box is R2D2 and I have to admit that I enjoy this design better than the boring blue boxes. I'm sure that more things like this will be appearing everywhere around us and in places we may not expect

2 comments:

Melanie said...

bah! i had that on my flight a week ago, too, and was a little bothered by it. what's up with having a tacky tray table? funny that you encountered that, too!

Kim said...

Cheryl - I have not yet encountered the tray table ad, so thanks for sharing the picture. That is hilarious! At least the ad is for something bening like cough drops...