Monday, July 12, 2010

My Brush with the Creators of an Internet Phenomenon

So, I knew that our trip to Florida was going to be FABULOUS after our red-eye flight there. William and I were seated in the same row but were both in window seats and there were only couples seated next to us but I totally hit the jackpot with the couple I sat next to. I immediately bonded with Jen who was sitting next to me as we talked for 45 minutes straight about the wonders of Disney. They had just finished up several days at Disneyland and California Adventure and were returning back home to Orlando where they have season passes to the parks. We talked about the Disney Cruise line (I've been once), I told them about Tokyo Disney and Tokyo Disney Sea, as well as Disneyland Paris, and they informed me about all of the things that I still didn't know despite my countless trips to Disneyland. They have dozens of the souvenir penny machines all throughout the park- I had only seen one or two previously- but Jen produced a huge list of all of the locations of them throughout the park and which characters were featured. You learn something new every day :-) Her and her husband John also raved about their favorite restaurant at Disney World- Boma- which is at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. They told me to email them if we were going- which we did at the last minute- and I still feel TERRIBLE for not alerting them (this just means that there will be a next time to make up for it :-)

After expounding upon all of the wonders of Disney, they had told me that they had come to California for a book tour. A book tour- that is pretty sweet! I asked what their book was about and Jen replied that she and her husband write this blog and the book is based off of their blog. I asked what the blog was and to my utter delight she said "Oh, just a little blog, I'm not sure if you have heard of it, it's called CAKE WRECKS." Of COURSE I have heard of cake wrecks! I was big into cake decorating in high school and college and so it was natural that I become a loyal devotee. I have been following their for over a year and I was thrilled to see that John was ok after having to cancel part of their tour due to his getting pneumonia. I was so starstruck meeting them. I was so happy to be able to tell them in person just how HILARIOUS their blog is and just how much I look forward to their posts. She told me that they have been shocked at the success of their blog (I'm not shocked because it truly is a brilliant concept that is well executed and funny) and how the blog and book have now become their full time jobs. They are truly some of the nicest, most down-to-earth people I have ever met and I still feel honored to have been lucky enough to have been able to talk with them for several hours. If you have not been to their blog yet, GO IMMEDIATELY and I know that it will instantly become one of your favorites. Jen also let me know about her other blog called "Epbot" which features many of her in-depth posts about Disney and their other miscellaneous adventures.

Wreck On Jen and John! And thanks for being so great to a star-struck fan!!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

JEALOUS, JEALOUS, JEALOUS!!! They are good for a laugh every. single. day.

Andrea Y. said...

What a fun thing! I love cakewrecks oh so much.