Sunday, August 17, 2008

Bawhston

Oh Boston- this place will forever have a special place in my heart. It is a big city with a small town feel and it is so quirky that I absolutely love it. It was hard for me to leave after 5 years as there are still so many things I wasn't able to do- such as John Adams House, The Mount of Edith Wharton, and Newport mansions. I was hoping to at least visit the Adams House and try one of the famous sticky buns from Flour bakery that I saw on the Food Network; however, there was just way too much sociology for that to happen. I arrived in Boston on Tuesday morning and spent the day reading articles to prepare for the US/UK Med Soc conference. I went to the welcome reception and dinner that night and was so happy that I have my colleague Miranda to come with me to meet the big whigs. On Wednesday, the conference went from 9 to 6 pm and so I spent the day talking about gender and health, having shop talk, and listening to great plenary speakers. Thursday morning I presented about quality of life and HRT at 8:30 am and so I missed some of the 1st conference. But, I was happy that there were several in the audience besides just the presenters for being the 1st session of the 1st day. Then, it was back to the US/UK conference to finish up and then I headed back to SSSP to attend the business meeting. Friday morning I didn't have anything but I had sessions in the afternoon and the Brandeis sociology reception that evening. Saturday I had several sessions I attended, the medical sociology council, and a med soc graduate student get-together that I organized. We had about 12 people there (5 were Brandeis affiliated- thanks to my peeps for supporting me!) which was a little smaller than I had anticipated but meant that everyone had a chance to talk. Sunday was literally conference stuff all day with sessions, my roundtable presentation about risk scares and antidepressant suicidality in youth which I was shocked had about 6 additional people attending who were not presenters (usually there are just the presenters for roundtables since they are so informal), the medical sociology section, and awardee dinner. Monday morning I had a session about how to publish a book in sociology as that is a future dream of mine (a fascinating talk and I am so happy that attended because there are things that are SO DIFFERENT from just submitting journal articles). Finally, I was the book raffle helper for the med soc business meeting. There is such an interesting experience because it is a fundraiser for the section so you buy a raffle ticket for $5 to have a chance to choose from 3 med soc books. However, most of the senior faculty buy multiple tickets (since they are more established) but then they do not want the books and give the opportunity to choose to graduate students. Well, there were not very many graduate students at the meeting since it was on the very last day at such a late hour and so they couldn't get anyone to take some (I took my 3) that they just left them out there for anyone to take. It was definitely one of the most unexciting raffles that I've seen- at least I got a few good ones.

Anyways, my point in explaining all of this was this was primarily my only time to sightsee around Boston was Monday later afternoon/evening. My dad and sister Sarah arrived that morning and we ended up doing my dad's favortie activity- walking around the city. We walked from Back Bay down to the North End and then back along the Esplanade to our hotel. And the weather was perfect for it- not too hot, slight breeze. And I was COMPLETELY SHOCKED to see just how much they had progressed with the Emerald Necklace in just one year. When I lived in Boston, the Big Dig had torn up the area between Fanuiel Hall and the North End. But now, it is SO BEAUTIFUL with fountains, seating areas, and much needed green space.

Some kids enjoying being pushed up by the fountains
The fountains and the city at night
And in those green spaces, they pay equal attention to both owners and pets
Check out these cool lounge chairs by the aquarium wharf- the shape is just really interesting
We LOVED walking along the Esplanade and actually sat for awhile to rest our tired feet and we we throughly entertained. We saw a sailboat completely tip over while still at the dock when 1 man got on. It was hilarious- and part of the boat broke. Fortunately, after some finagiling they were finally able to get out onto the Charles. There were also a few windsurfers who were also having "issues" including falling in several times. Aren't we so mean to just sit and watch them and laugh.
All in all, this was the perfect way to see all of the highlights of this great city. As much as I love Boston, I definitely LOVE William more and was so happy to return home to him. I am very lucky that I was at a point in my grad school that I could leave and be with him in Cali.

No comments: