Sunday, January 30, 2011

Doughnut Planet

Just a few blocks away from the Tenement Museum was Doughnut Planet. I had heard about this place from several food blogs that I follow and it did not disappoint. I did not wait in line at all for my doughnuts- apparently there isn't much demand on a cold Thursday at noon but it is reported that the lines can be long on the weekends. And let me say that this place lives up to all of the hype. The creme brulee doughnut is THE BEST that I have ever had! It is pictured on the left and it is a yeast doughnut filled with a light custard creme and then the top is bruleed sugar which adds an amazing crunch and flavor. The tres leches one on the right was good, especially compared to your average doughnut, but it was nothing compared to the creme brulee one. The tres leches was a cake doughnut that was filled throughout with like sweetened condensed milk and then covered with a light glaze. It was extremely moist and delicious, but the creme brulee one is truly worth the excursion to the lower east side. I managed to eat my doughnuts in the shop since it was cold outside and not crowded but there is only a small informal seating area- a bench covered with little ceramic doughnuts (too bad I didn't take a photo of that). Even if you are not a doughnut fan, do not make a judgment until you have had a creme brulee doughnut from this place.

No comments: