Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Dentist

I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of going to the dentist (sorry Adam and Jonathon and those others I know out there who are dentists!) but this time wasn't so bad. I have always had the same dentist out in Utah for most of my life, even when I was in college and grad school. I would always schedule my appointments to be when I was in Utah. Since moving to the Bay Area, I was quite hesitant about finding a dentist, but I totally lucked out and found one super close to my house, covered by our insurance, and dentists that I like. Today was great- normally, I don't like the polishing or drill scraping but they had really great machines, especially the drill cleaner had water in it so it didn't hurt as much. And, the best part is that I had NO CAVITIES and no extra work needed to be done. HOWEVER, they gave me this new fluoride treatment that I now DESPISE with a passion. Last time, I got the foam trays which I actually don't mind so much because the fluoride gunk is liquid so it doesn't feel gritty on your teeth. This new fluoride they "paint" on your teeth (like fingernail polish my dentist said) and then you let it sit for 30 minutes. Easy enough to put on, but it GLOBS up like no other and leaves nasty chunks all over your mouth and teeth. I had to literally BRUSH my teeth after the 30 minutes to get it off, and still some remained in my mouth. It was so nasty. I'm all for innovation, but not when it is WORSE than the previous version. I'm definitely going to ask for the older treatment when I go back, or at least get some "study" results that show this method has TREMENDOUS benefits over the older version because I cannot stand the gunk again. At least it happens only every 6 months.

No comments: