Sunday, February 10, 2008

Why California is the Most Populous State in the Union

So, I had never really understood why everyone raves so much about "California". I mean, I LOVE Disneyland- I've been there nearly every year of my life- and to LA several times and to San Diego and I thought that it was fun, but I wasn't sure what the big deal was about it. Now, I know. It's THE WEATHER. After having spent 5 years in Boston with "THE BITTERNESS" as I refer to it, I now understand just how great it is to be here in CA. I grew up in Utah where there is snow, but I never really understood the purpose of a scarf. I totally thought that it was just for fashion and then I moved to Boston and found out that it is a NECESSITY. Utah is cold, but its a dry cold and it never really felt bitter. Boston has bitterness due to the humidity- its the type of coldness that pierces your soul and makes you afraid to even walk from building to building with 5 layers of clothing.

The opposite is here in the peninsula of the SF bay area. The "winter" was just a rainy season. It rained most of January and there were a few intense storms, but it always hit 50 degrees during the day. It was so nice to not have to worry about shoveling, scraping our car, and just dreading going outside again. (We did get in some shoveling at my parents house when we were in Utah, so we had our fill for the year). It always made me laugh to hear people complaining about how cold it was because they had to wear a jacket because it isn't that cold to warrant complaining. This week has truly been PERFECT weather. Sunshine, blue skies and in the mid 60s- it truly just lifts your mood and makes you want to be outside when the weather is like this. It really is glorious, especially considering that it is FEBRUARY. However, the only drawback to this great weather is that a huge number of people have also figured it out and live here as well, greatly inflating the housing prices. We like to say that its a "Weather Tax" and I have to say that, at least for the moment, I really don't mind us paying it. I finally understand why William was so anxious to get back here after spending 3 years here and then moving to Boston for 2. I'm truly going to soak up the sun!

2 comments:

Clint said...

Got to love sunny California. We miss it sometimes, and not so much other times. San Fran is awesome. Perhaps we can hook up while we are out there for Clint's graduation in May?

Aaron said...

You know what, as much as I enjoy your company Cheryl, I appreciate that extra little bit of Alta Fresh even more.
Remember those days when we went skiing together?
Sweet.
Canyons pass for free!