Friday, February 15, 2008

No more S.A.D. Days: My First Valentine

Having been single for a quarter century, I really did not like Valentines Day- or SINGLE AWARENESS DAY (S.A.D.) as I used to call it. I never was dating anyone and so most days were spent commiserating with some of my other single friends :-)

BUT, last year in 2007 was the first time that I actually had a VALENTINE and enjoyed the day! And what made it even better was that I was already engaged to William at the time. William was so cute and took me to the Omni Parker House for dinner. I had lived in Boston for 5 years, yet had not made it to this cultural icon. This restaurant is where Boston Creme Pie originated, as well as Parker House Rolls. However, the weather was not so sweet to us. There had been a terrible snow storm earlier in the day and then was sleeting rain when we went to dinner- but, we very crazily went anyways since we had "reservations". Unfortunately, I thought that parking would be crazy that night so we parked on the other side of the Common and the Omni Parker House was on the other side. I never realized just how big the Commons are until that night when we had to dash across them in the freezing rain, only to find out there were closer parking spots. I felt SO BAD (I'm still apologizing to William for it and it is our little joke now) The rain scared off a few people and so the restaurant was not packed like it should have been, which was nice because we could take our time. I got clam chowder as an appetizer, along with 2 baskets of rolls (William is so funny- he said that these rolls tasted just like his mother's and I laughed and told him that she probably got the recipe but this is where it started. I then got the Boston Scrod, a house specialty, and the Boston Creme Pie as I wanted the night to be in honor of the Boston classics. In general, I am not a fan of Boston Creme Pie because the custard is gross, but I LOVED this one. It was light creamy, and delicious. With the exception of the HORRIBLE weather, the night was perfect and so romantic.

Dinner alone would have been sufficient, but Sweet William outdid himself and got me some Godiva chocolates in beautiful packaging.

And if you thought that the packaging was beautiful, the chocolates were even more gorgeous- and they tasted just as divine!
I LOVED having a sweetheart on my first Valentines last year! And I never have to be S.A.D. again!

No comments: