Wednesday, February 10, 2010

San Francisco Ballet- Program 2

This year I got season tickets to the San Francisco Ballet with three friends- Dyan, Maren, and Katie. Our first of 5 performances was last night and it was good- showing that it is going to be a great season. Our friend Shayla filled in for Katie who was out of town. Our seats were great- they were off to the far right side of the theater, at the end of the second and third rows. I thought that these seats were SO much better than the balcony in that they provided a more intimate and emotional connection with the dancers. The only drawback was that we couldn't see parts that occurred on the far side of stage left. But for $20 a ticket, it is very minor. It really was a very different experience to be so close. Instead of focusing on the figures, synchrony, and choreography like I do when I am in the balcony, I was able to focus on the emotions being conveyed by the dancers as well as experiencing their incredible technique. I was so shocked by what little noise their feet made- even when doing major leaps. I was more involved and captivated by the performance sitting so close.

The company did 3 numbers: Opus 19/The Dreamer, Ghosts (the world premire), and Company B. Opus 19 had great music and choreography, Company B (based on the song "Boogey Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B) has such fun music by the Anderson Sisters and it made the guys look kind of silly with some of their movements. But my absolute favorite was "Ghosts." The music was so powerful and stirring and the dance movements were fluid and organic, like a ghost, but also unique/different from what I had seen before. It was SO fun to go with you ladies and I'm looking forward to our other plays!!

No comments: