Monday, November 5, 2012

What's Most Important

I have been long absent from the blog due to my own personal perception that I was "too busy" and I have even been "too busy" to read and comment on the blogs of my dear friends and family. Blogging is one of the ways that I have stayed in touch and up-to-date with the happenings of my loved ones. One of these people was my friend from high school, Kim. I found out last night that this amazing, incredible woman had passed away. I cried for several hours as I thought about how she was gone, and what her sweet husband and 5 children are going to do without her. I hadn't kept up with the last few months of her life and so I turned to her blog to catch up on what had been going on with her and her family. Reading those posts was a bittersweet experience for me- it was sweet because I was able to hear the voice of my friend narrating her experiences and love for her children, but it was bitter because I wasn't able to share my feelings with her. It made me realize that I am not blogging just for myself but for those other dear friends of mine scattered and most importantly, for my family and posterity, that they can know of my experiences and have that way to connect with me. The Lord was kind to me in that He prepared me with some advice just before this loss so that I would be able to turn to this talk in my time of need. My friend Abby gave the lesson in Relief Society yesterday based on the recent October general conference talk by Pres. Uchtdorf entitled "Of Regrets and Resolutions." This talk in concert with the passing of my sweet Kim has given me a huge wake-up call as to exactly what are my priorities in life and that I don't want to have anymore regrets that I already have about not touching base enough with her before it was too late. I have a new resolve to be in better contact with those that I love, as well as the importance of keeping a record of my life and experiences to share with others. So expect to be hearing from me more often in tribute to my dear friend Kim.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I am so sorry to hear about this. And I understand your thoughts--I don't want to be obsessed with my blog or others blogs--but when you live far away, it's wonderful to be able to feel somewhat close to the day-to-day of loved ones. Sometimes when people say "what have you been up to?" I have nothing to say, even though every day is full. So sometimes the blog helps with that--noticing the small day-to-day things that may get bypassed.

Hope you are feeling better today. Loves.