Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Not As Good As The Original

So have you ever been to a restaurant in another country that you just LOVE. The kind that you go back again and again and again. Its a place that you just RAVE about to others. William and I both have places like that from other countries and we were both SO delighted that they now had their counterparts in the U.S. For me, it was Wagamama's. I first went to Wagamama's on my study abroad in London and fell in love with it. Every time I am there, I make sure that I go. Even when Michelle and I were in Amsterdam, they had a Wagamama's there and so I introduced her to it and we ate there two nights in a row- that's how good it was. Needless to say, I was ECSTATIC to find out that the first U.S. location would be in Fanuiel Hall of Boston. I made William go with me after it had just opened and I raved and raved about how good it was. I was so sad that it wasn't nearly as good as the ones that I had been to. It was just disappointing because I was SO looking forward to it and I built my expectations up only to be crushed. I mean, it was ok but nothing like the European locations. This happened over a year ago in Boston.

And it happened on the other side of the coast tonight for William. We were out on an errand in Cupertino- a place that we had never been before. After the errand, William looks around and see's his most favorite restaurant from Japan- Yoshinoya. He was so excited when he saw it and so of course we went there for dinner. On the walk over, he raved about how wonderful it was- that on his trip back to Japan with his family, he introduced them to the beef bowl and they were converted. He said that every time they passed a Yoshinoya in Japan (they are everywhere like the McDonald's of the U.S.), his brothers insisted that they stop. William was so excited that he ordered 2 large beef bowls (one for each of us) and I felt so bad because he was so disappointed with it. And I have to admit, it was pretty bad because they used probably the worst possible grade of beef. William is so sweet though because he said that he would take me to Japan sometime so that I could have the good stuff. I think that is the solution for out of the country restaurants- we just need to go to the country of origin to get the good stuff :-)

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Ah, Wagamama's.... How sad to have the noodle nirvana disappoint! You made me think of that crazy spring in London, though, Cher, and that's a happy memory. Remember Kensington Park? And ooh! ooh! Disneyland Paris! Such fun times.