Saturday, November 8, 2008

Baking Disaster

Every week, except fast Sunday, we bring a treat for our 12-13 year old Sunday School class that we teach. We used to just bring pre-packaged candy, but they respond better to homemade treats. I have made things like caramel corn, white chocolate chip cookies (with ground oatmeal and flour), butterscotch spiders (with chowmein noodles), and they were eaten, but the treat that they consistently request are my CAKE MIX cookies. The class is split between the two kinds I make- yellow cake with chocolate chips and homemade oreos. They are THE EASIEST cookies to make and taste incredible. All you do is mix a cake mix, 1/2 c. margarine, and 2 eggs. For the yellow cookies, add 1 c. chocolate chips. For oreos, don't add anything else. Spoon onto baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool for a few minutes on the pan and then transfer to a cooling rack. For the oreos, take a jar of vanilla frosting and frost each side and then sandwich together.

Earlier this week, I made homemade oreos for the Elders, but they were so full that they only had 1 or 2. So that meant that I got to eat them for the rest of the week (YUM). But, that meant that I didn't want to make them again for Sunday. So, I decided to take a gamble and make a new dessert- one that looked super good. I saw it on this blog for smore bars. It took a bit of time to make, not much, but it failed miserably. I put it on the top rack- which was the biggest mistake- because it quickly browned the marshmellows. So, I transfered it to the bottom rack, but it was getting even browner so I took it out about 5 minutes early. Thus, the crust is totally crumbly- I think that the sweetened condensed milk didn't fully set in. So, it is still edible- just with a spoon. Thus, we can't take it to our kids tomorrow :-( At least we have some packaged pixie sticks to give them :-) But that is so sad that it was a disaster because I was looking forward to having a new recipe in my arsenal. Or maybe its just that my baking skills are lacking .. . . It is slightly reassuring that many people also had problems with the recipe- so mabye its just not me.

No comments: