Tuesday, November 11, 2008

John Adams

I absolutely LOVED the biography of John Adams written by David McCullough. No wonder it won the Pulitzer Prize- it was incredibly well written and fascinating. Its not a "quick read", being nearly 650 pages, but it is completely fascinating. It made me laugh, cry, and truly develop a new found admiration for this individual who was instrumental in founding our country. My timing of reading this book was powerful in that it was the same time as the current election. What amazed me about John Adams was his unwavering devotion to this great country. He devoted his whole life to serving the country, doing what he felt was best for the country and not to elevate himself. He was the first president to live in the White House and he placed a blessing upon the house that is carved into the mantle piece of the state dining room: "I pray heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof" (John Adams). I now very much want to see the John Adams biography and also visit his homestead in Qunicy, MA since it was something I failed to get to. It will now be even more meaningful after reading this book.

No comments: