Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Masterpiece Theater

Masterpiece Theater has re-invented themselves over the past two years reverting back to showing film adaptations of literary classics. Last year, they showed some of the works of Jane Austen. They just started this year with Tess of the D'Urbervilles. This is a great book by Thomas Hardy that I read while I was doing my study abroad in London. We even visited the main church featured in the book. The next film is going to be Wuthering Heights, another book that I read in part to graduate with honors from BYU. Later on in the season, they will do several Charles Dicken's novels, including my favorite novel of his, David Copperfield. The best part is that they now have the shows archived online at the PBS site for a short period. I think I will try to read some of the other Dicken's novels that I haven't read before they come out. I highly recommend you support your local PBS station in this endeavor :-)

2 comments:

Danika said...

My mother wrote her doctoral dissertation on Dicken's and had never read A Tale of Two Cities (my favorite!). I was floored when she told me and I absolutely insisted she read it. She really liked it... no suprise there :)

Lianne Barr said...

Cheryl, thanks so much for posting about this. I didn't make it to see Tess, but I did see Wuthering Heights on Sunday! Thanks!