Saturday, January 5, 2008

My Guilty Pleasure

So, one of my guilty little pleasures is watching PROJECT RUNWAY. I'm officially addicted. How did I get this way considering we don't have cable? It all started on my long jet blue flights from Boston to California when they always seemed to have Project Runway marathons on Bravo. I used to be embarrassed that I watch this show, but now I just embrace it whole heartedly. I think it is such a great "reality tv show" because it is fascinating to see the kind of creativity that people come up with. For example, this weeks episode (which they FINALLY are putting on the Bravo website so I don't have to watch it thru you tube) the contestants had 5 minutes to grab whatever they wanted from the Hershey Store in Times Square and then only that day to "make it work". Some of the results were so clever.


This dress on the left is made completely out of the brown wrappers surrounding the Reeses Peanut Butter Cups! Who knew that could be made fashionable.
















The one on the right was the winner. The skirt is made out of the outer foil wrapper of York Peppermint Patties all sewn together! Just look at how meticulous and well put together it is! Additionally, the top is vinyl from Twizzler's pillows. Really creative.















I also thought that Jillian, the designer, was so ambitious to work
with actual food. Yup- the skirt and bodice are made of Twizzlers. To me, the bodice doesn't fit, but I'm just so impressed that she was able to pull it off and not have everything fall off as her model walked down the runway.












I actually thought that this one was really clever and actually somewhat wearable in real life. But what was most impressive was who made it. This designer previously designed costumes and so his past results have all been totally over the top and out of control. It was amazing to see that he can do something fashionable and normal when he puts his mind to it.












So, there you have it. My secret is out. This is particularly what happens when Cheryl is sick and needs fun entertainment. Well, and I have to admit, I watch this even when I'm not sick too, but at least it has a good cover for this post :-)

No comments: