Wednesday, January 30, 2008

We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet

My sister Cynthia was the first to let me know that our beloved prophet since 1995, Gordon B. Hinckley, had passed away. Following that, both of William's brothers then called to see if we had heard the news. I tried to look it up on Google news just then, but it wasn't fast enough and hadn't picked up KSL's story. However, the next day, the New York Times had two stories about him- I thought this one was good tribute (especially with the corrections at the end). While I am saddened by his death, I am overjoyed that he is reunited with his beloved eternal companion, Marjorie. Her death was hard on him, yet, he continued to do the work he was called to do. Pres. Hinckley is such an incredible example to me of someone who truly lived his entire life building up the kingdom of God on the earth. He worked for the church professionally and then as a calling for most of his life, and truly accomplished so much. It seems so timely that a week before his death, William and I were asked to speak about "Our Living Prophets" in Sacrament meeting. Preparing for that talk gave me an opportunity to reflect upon all of the amazing things Pres. Hinckley had done throughout his ministry as prophet: 100 temples before the end of the year 2000, The Proclamation on the Family, The Living Christ, having the church world wide read the Book of Mormon before the end of the year, and visiting countless nations throughout the world. He always told us to "Be a Little Better" and to make sure that we truly are giving our best. For FHE, William and I listened to his last major general conference address in Oct 2007 which is so fitting for Pres. Hinckley in so many ways. It was the first talk he every repeated- and joked about it. I'm so amazed he only repeated 1 since he gave talks in over 200 general conferences. That's a lot of material to come up with! But, the most fitting aspect, is that he testified of the Prophet Joseph Smith and the foundation of the Church, but more importantly, the Lord's work is progressing forward and continuing to fill the earth like the stone cut out from the mountain. And, while we are saddened by the loss of this great brother, the work will continue to go forward. How grateful I am that the Lord loves his people so much that He has not left us alone, but has given us a prophet to provide guidance and direction for our day. This photo is how I will always remember Pres. Hinckley- for his incredible sense of humor, for I think God is like this too :-) I loved seeing him swing his cane around, and especially to "knight" Pres. Eyring to his new post.

No comments: