Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Cliff House: San Francisco Dine About Town

In Boston, they call it "restaurant week"; in Salt Lake, they called it "Dine O'Round"; and here in San Francisco, they call it "Dine About Town". Whatever name you call it, it is the same idea. Many of the fanciest restaurants in town for a 2 week period offer a price-fix menu of 3 courses for $32. This is SUCH a steal because at many of these restaurants, the main courses are that price. William took me to Boston restaurant week for our 2nd date to Vox Populli and wooed me with their food. Last year, we went with my dear friend Riva to Lumiere, this AMAZING French inspired restaurant where we experienced the PANNA COTTA- this dessert that is from HEAVEN. William and I still talk about just how incredible it was and how much we crave it.

This year, we decided to go for food, AND a great view. I made my reservation back in December to make sure I got it. In part, my choice was based upon how many $$$$ they had, because it meant that we were not likely to go there on our own, so the CLIFF HOUSE won me over.
The Cliff House used to be a swimming bath house back in the old days as it is literally on the Pacific Ocean. As such, it has STUNNING views that we were even able to appreciate in the dark.
Here's a photo of the area where we would be dining.
And I had a FABULOUS dinner. Butternut squash soup to begin, the moistest, tenderest, flakiest SALMON I have ever had- it was just so succulent, this Andalucian sausage polenta (not a fan), and then CREME BRULEE that was just as good as the one I had at Bambara. William got similar things- butternut squash soup, barbeque flank steak and mashed potatoes, and creme brulee. They had these cookies paired with it that I didn't care for so William ate mine because he thought it went well together. I just wanted to not taint any bite of this smooth and creamy creme brulee. I learned back at Lumiere that I order what I want and not try to "maximize our tastes". We did that at Lumiere and William got the panna cotta and I got mango sorbet so that we could try both and in the end, I wished that I would have gotten the panna cotta. I learned my lesson to just get what you want. It was way good food. And such a great view too.

That's a pretty big GIANT CAMERA- random relic from the old swimming days

And look at lights lining the coast.
Thanks William for yet another magical evening!!!!

1 comment:

lisa midge said...

Im so excited to see this post! First as I was able to eat fabulous food in Boston with you during restaurant week, and second I have been to this house and thought it was amazing. Ahh, Cheryl, you are great!