Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Sarah's Birthday Celebration!

This post is in honor of my dear, sweet sister SARAH! I had the pleasure of being able to celebrate her birthday with her this year, something that has not happened for a long time. And let me tell you, it was truly a day of CELEBRATION!

My mom and I drove down to Provo where we picked up Sarah and then went to the Minerva Teichert: Pagents in Paint exhibit now on view at the BYU Museum of Art. Overall, there were truly some INCREDIBLE images- she portrays a lot of processions. I really like her for her impresionistic/post impressionist style of free brush strokes and colors- and she does a great job of framing her pictures with additional borders. However, I did have one problem with their characterizing her paintings as "pagents"- it really just seemed like a stretch to me, but that's my own view. You can decide for yourself with some samples below.


Afterwards, we then went and saw the World of Dance performance by all of the performing dance companies at BYU. It was pretty good- I especially enjoyed the French romance themed ballet .

Then, we went up to the Conference Center where, despite the rain and cold, were able to attend the Relief Society General Broadcast. It was so neat to be there with my sweet mother and sister and to hear the beautiful music and great talks from the new RS presidency.

THEN, it was dinner time. Salt Lake for the first year did a restaurant week that they called 'Dine O'Round'. But, unlike Boston, they had fixed price 3 course meals for not just $30 but $15!!!!! (Only in Utah could you find such a great deal). But, SLC really hasn't quite figured out restaurant week yet- at least for 2 of the 3 places I tried. We went to Garden Cafe at Grand America and they only had 1 option for each and the selection at Bambara wasn't much better so we just ended up getting things off the regular menu. BUT, Christophers $15 truly had it right- several GOOD options for the main course and other courses (so way to go for them!). For Sarah's birthday, she wanted to go to Bambara and despite the poor restaurant week choices, IT WAS FABULOUS! EVERY single thing we got was incredible. We shared a calamari appetizer (so tender), and then each of the Stults women got the prawn and fettuccini and EVERYONE was just so happy they got their own and didn't have to share because it was that good. Here is the adorable birthday girl showing off the goods

We also each got a side of blue cheese and bacon au gratin potatoes (yum). I was SO satisfied by the end of that. And then, came the desserts. Sarah got a chocolate dessert but our waiter was super and brought us out an additional CREME BRULEE since it was her birthday. Now that was "to kill for" as my dad said. I was so full but that was so good that I couldn't stop eating it and so my dad and I devoured that while Sarah and mom had the chocolate one. Such FABULOUS food is worth every calorie and every penny (thanks Dad!)

Then, we went home and watched Sarah open up her gifts. Here she is with all of the booty
Here is Sarah again with her second favorite present (the first is the Hello Kitty designer cell phone case I gave her)- a audio CD by Hugh Nibley talking about the temple.
WOW! It truly was such a great birthday celebration that only did partial justice to show how WONDERFUL, INCREDIBLE, BEAUTIFUL and TALENTED my sister Sarah is! Love ya doll! Thanks for letting me spend this special day with you!

No comments: