Thursday, October 25, 2007

Motherhood

I've been meaning to write this post for awhile, but I'm glad that I waited because I found a great quote that helps to sum up my feelings on the matter. I had the privilege of getting to know on a personal level Jane Clayson Johnson- former anchor of the CBS morning show and left television to become a full time mother. She received much criticism for it, but truly felt that this is what she needed to do. She tells a great story in the book about after becoming a new mother at age 37 how excited she was and she then went to a business dinner with her husband where all of the husbands lauded their accomplishments and the women said "Oh, I'm just a mother". That was just the opposite of how Jane felt and it is the premise behind her book, I Am A Mother. I recommend this book to ALL women because I feel that it is so critical. People have said to me, "Wow, here you are getting your PhD and all I'm doing is just being a mom."

Let me tell you, being a mother is SO much harder than getting your PhD. At least with my PhD, I can take breaks and decide not to write as much one day as another, but with a mother, it is a full time, 24 hour day. And there are no extrinsic rewards for motherhood- no one giving a Pulitzer Prize for Motherhood, or even a Nobel Prize. However, it is such a critical and crucial role in society. I so greatly admire all of my friends who are mothers, and most especially my own mother. She sacrificed so much of her professional life for us- and she willingly gave it up so that she could raise us. What an amazing and incredible example she has been to me- the ultimate example of sacrifice, love, and service. There truly is no one more Christ-like than a righteous mother. I know that circumstances in the world today are sadly such that not everyone has the opportunity to stay at home with their kids, and I realize that. I just think that we need to put a renewed energy and desire into being a mother and to truly revere the position.

I discussed this topic today with the woman that I visit teach. Even before we began the lesson, she commented on this topic of motherhood and how it can be really hard, but the rewards and just so great. You can't always see them day to day, but in the long term, it really pays off. In the Visiting Teaching message in the October Ensign is a quote from Pres. Spencer W. Kimball that is a powerful statement about the importance of motherhood:

To be a righteous women during the winding up scenes on this earth, before the second coming of our Savior, is an especially noble calling. The righteous woman's strength and influence today can be tenfold what it might be in more tranquil times . . . .

A TEN FOLD impact larger than previous times. That quote hit me with such force that motherhood can be even more what it has been historically. This is the kind of spirit that we need to instill in every woman, whether she is a mother or not, about the importance of this position. We need to not criticize one another, or judge another for we do not know of their individual circumstances. Rather, we need to strengthen each other and help one another to be better mothers to all of those we come in contact with. I love in Jane's book how candid she is about this point of building a true sisterhood. I also love how candid she is about how difficult motherhood can be at times- exhausting, draining, frustrating- but it is all worth it in the end.

There is a season for everything, and we need to enjoy the place we are at now and, like Pres. Hinckley says, "do the best you can, but make sure it is your very best". I express my love and admiration to all mothers out there- and you all have PhD's in Motherhood in my book!

No comments: