Thursday, October 25, 2007

What's Your Excuse?

Just we you think that you have heard all of the old excuses for missing school or work, welcome to the world of the internet. There is a website called "Excused Absence Network" where for $25 you can buy fairly authentic looking fake excuse notes- ones like look like a doctors note, or a jury summons. But, alas, this website has now been ousted by the media, with multiple stories being written about it newspapers around the country. In addition to getting out of work or school, people have also used them to get out of their gym memberships.

Hmm- maybe I could somehow get a note excusing me from my dissertation- "Cheryl Stults can only handle so much research and writing, and the dissertation length is just way too much for her". YEA RIGHT. If I turned in a note like that, they would just tell me- "Oh, what a shame. No PhD for you"- there would be no full excusal from that dissertation. I just wouldn't get my PhD.

But, for those of you who really know me, I would never use one of these "excuse notes" because I never even missed a day of school when I was legitimately sick. I am one of those crazy people who has perfect attendance from kindergarten to 12th grade. There were times that I was slightly ill and my parents wanted me to stay home and I begged to go to school. (I was not contagious during these times). I just love it that much. I have only met a few people who have done this, so I knew it was a sign when on my second date with William, I found out that he had done it too! I knew then that this was a match made in heaven. Thus, our poor children. It will take them a lot for them to be able to miss school. And now that I know about this website, I can be aware of it and try to anticipate it.

Does anyone have a good story about how they used an "excuse" to get out of doing something?

No comments: