Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Out With the Old, and In With The New

I have said goodbye to some of my old, longtime favorites in exchange for some newer, trendier ones.

A few years ago, on a trip to Disneyland with my sisters, I found this adorable Eeyore wallet. Look- its when he was a baby and was actually smiling and happy! I just thought it was super cute so I bought it and actually used it as my primary wallet for awhile. My friend Brooke always laughed at me because here I am, getting my PhD, and I have an Eeyore wallet. It was starting to fall apart (look at the wear and tear along the edges) so I decided to upgrade to . . . .

this sassy red one! I had in mind the exact wallet that I wanted and so while William and I were at the Gilroy Outlets, we went into many stores searching for the perfect wallet- and I FOUND it!!! And yes, it is a Kenneth Cole leather wallet, but I got it at a closeout sale for a great price, which makes it even better.


And the inside even has room for my plethora of cards. And, I'm also sporting a new CA drivers license (I actually never got an MA one, since I was still in school, you don't need to become a resident)

But, I ended up saying adios to one of my long time items- my old glasses. I have had these glasses since before high school, which has been over 12 years. Let me preface this by saying that I HATE glasses. I have had glasses ever since I was in kindergarten- yeah, my eyes literally are that bad. And since they are so bad, I was limited in the frames that I could get so I always ended up getting the giant, ugly ones. I got contacts at the end of 6th grade and literally only wear my glasses for a short time right before I go to bed and right when I get up. Immediately when I wake up, I go straight into the bathroom and put in my contacts. Since I would only wear glasses for such a short period of time, I thought that it wasn't worth the money to change them so only the inner circle of my closest friends and roommates have seen me in my glasses. Its amazing because William did happen to see me in a few times and I am proud to say that he still married me despite them. That's sign of true love right there! And we were married for 7 months before he suggested that I get some new glasses for Christmas for which I agreed that it was finally time for a change.

Here are the old ones- yeah, they are really huge from the front

And especially the side- they seriously are COKE BOTTLE glasses! If you didn't know, this now gives evidence as to just how bad my eyes are.

I was kind of dreading going to look for new glasses because previously, it was always such a painful experience. I would try on tons of glasses and would finally find one that looked ok on me, only to find out that I couldn't get them because it wouldn't support my prescription. Then, it was onto the huge, bigger, uglier glasses and it took awhile to decide which was the lesser evil. We went to this place near our house, just because it was close, and it has a clever name "Site for Sore Eyes". And I have to admit, I am really impressed with them. We went in and one of their workers came up to me and asked me if I needed help. I said I did and told her some of the styles I was interested in and she went and picked out several pairs in that genre. I showed her my prescription and she said "Whoa! That's a high prescription!" And I chuckled and said yes, I know, I REALLY need some form of eyewear. It did limit some of my choices (like the really light, nearly invisible ones I still can't have), but they have come a LONG way in getting glasses with some style in them for us "heavy hitters". She brought me probably 5 different pairs and the first couple frames were too dark for my complexion and one of the lighter ones I didn't like, and then I FOUND it! My perfect pair of glasses- super cute and they actually look ok on me! (Here's the link to a photo of me in them from my previous posts- I still don't really like to have photos of me with my glasses on due to habit so just enjoy this one :-) And William even thought they were great too- a huge improvement over the other ones.


And here is the best part- they aren't coke bottles! The lens does come out a little from the frame but it is really slight. They are sooo much nicer and lighter. A GREAT improvement over the previous ones.


I tried on one or two other frames after that but I knew that I had found the perfect pair. The same thing happened with my wedding dress. On my trip to UT, I went into 1 store and found my dress on the 5th try. It is so rare that I find something that I REALLY love that when I do, I know that it is futile and just a waste of time to try to compare with other places because I won't find anything I like as much.

I'm so happy with these items that I don't even miss the old ones (so sorry guys) and I look forward to using both of them for an even longer period of time

5 comments:

Brekke said...

Congrats on the upgrades! Let me know when you get the mommy wallet. You think it won't happen, but it does.

Cheryl and William said...

What does a "mommy" wallet look like? I haven't heard of that before so I want to know what to look out for. Will you post yours on your blog?

Hallman Family said...

Cheryl,

hey, I bet you lunch I can beat you with my "Coke Bottle" glasses. I have had that same problem since 1st grade. And right before Christmas I actually found glasses that I actually love to wear (give my eyes a break from the contacts)!

Celeste Hallman

Unknown said...

I will always miss the old wallet, but I suppose we all must grow up sometime! I didn't even HAVE a wallet until my junior year of college. I just used the envelope that they gave you from the bank. It had a lifespan of 3 weeks--just enough time until your next bank visit.

liza said...

nice post