Thursday, January 31, 2008

Nothing Like a Little Retail Therapy

To Help Cheer you up! Tonight, I was in somewhat of a bad mood, mostly stemming from the STUPID airlines and their ever changing prices. We bought a ticket last night for William to go and spend President's Day weekend with his parents and grandparents in Phoenix and I waited a day to make sure it was ok with a friend if I stayed with her an extra day to visit with her. When I checked today, THE VERY SAME FLIGHT had increased in price $50!!!!! I was so ticked- they really are just horrible- they truly don't care about "customer service" or anything. I couldn't believe that 1 day later, the price had gone up. This is after I had spent 3 hours searching to see if I could possibly use frequent flier miles (which they place all of these insane stipulations on) and most of the airlines to find the best deal that worked with our schedule. And then, to have it go up one day later. I was so frustrated. And for some unknown reason, there wasn't a new episode of Project Runway this week so I couldn't watch it on YouTube. Thus, I needed to get out of the house as most of the day had been in front of my computer coding newspaper articles for my dissertation and couldn't bear to look at it after this latest airline fiasco.

So, I went and spent 2 hours of good, quality RETAIL THERAPY. I went to 5 different stores, all running errands: Game Stop, Trader Joes, Target, Baskin Robbins, and Safeway. I want to say that I used gift certificates at 2 stores (Target and Baskin Robbins- THANK-YOU EVERYONE for being so generous for our wedding!) and a bunch was food items trying to have a better food storage so I don't feel too bad about it. And I feel 100% better!!!! In the end, the groceries ended up costing more than the ticket difference, but they will last us for quite awhile. I also got some books to READ FOR FUN as that will help to give me a little break from the intense dissertation work. And I think these purchases are worth it to maintain my emotional sanity! William can handle it because I rarely use retail therapy and he likes having me be in a better mood as well.

No comments: