Sunday, June 14, 2009

Graduation Party

My sweet friend Dyan threw me a graduation party last Tuesday. She is definitely a mini-Martha Stewart. She MADE these delectable desserts- strawberry country cake (Ina Garten recipe), chocolate brownies, and zucchini bread- plus fresh fruit and Martinelli's. And these desserts ALL tasted just as amazing as they looked.

Dyan told me that I could bring some candy, so of course I brought a whole table full. Plenty of gummy candy- (bears AND swedish fish), rainbow twizzlers, and my pride-and-joy- the candy graduation hats.

I cannot take credit for coming up with this idea- Bakerella is the one who I got the ideas- and directions from. She calls them her "Candy Cup Caps" and I just thought that they were so adorable and that I had to make them since they were my FINAL graduation.

I was quite happy with how they turned out, although they had initially caused me some work. I searched for the godiva squares and could not find them, even after going to 4 stores so I had to settle on these mini-Ritter bars since they were the right proportion. However, unknown to me, I had to cut them in half since they still had part of the squares on them. I also could not find the sour airhead belts and so I cut up some colored twizzler pieces, which took awhile. After I had done this, I had gone to Walmart for a last minute item (I'd already been there looking) and I was in the checkout line when I saw the sourbelts with the other candy there. So, check there before giving up. I have to admit that it was worth all of the effort though for just how cute they are. I made one with a blue tassel since that is one of the main colors of Brandeis.

I was so touched and excited by how many friends came to my party that I completely FORGOT to take photos of my beloved guests :-( But your images will forever remain in my mind. I'm so lucky to have made such wonderful friends here in Cali who have enriched, supported, and encouraged me throughout the long process of my dissertation. THANK-YOU ALL!!!!

2 comments:

Baldersons said...

What a fun party...I'm sad I couldn't make it. Congratulations!!

Ben and Leslie Evans said...

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy for you graduating Cher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so proud of you!!!!! I love the candy grad caps - so adorable!!