Friday, September 14, 2007

The AMAZING Target

So, I have always been a big fan of Target- especially now due to the generosity of many dear friends from our wedding :-) . I lived just down the street from one in Boston and not too far from one here in California. However, the Target near our place does not have a photo center. I printed off some digital photos from our wedding and I had to go to Sunnyvale (the town next door) to pick them up. What I discovered at this Target was that it is 2 stories. I had assumed that this would create a problem for shopping carts, but they came up with a solution that I have never seen before. A cart escalator. Yes- a special escalator to place your shopping cart that carries it up and down while you ride on the normal stair escalator. I was so amazed by this- and a little frightened- so I didn't use it the first time- I wimped out and took the elevators with my cart.

But, this second trip, I was ready- and with my camera to document it.
I actually had an embarrassing moment- so , I am all excited and go to push my cart in, and the escalator won't take it!!! And to make matters worse, this lady was right behind me with her cart wanting to go down. I'm struggling and another gentleman came over to try to help, but to no avail. It stopped the cart escalator. So, I embarrassingly struggle to remove my cart and fortunately, it started up again. The woman behind me then tried it and was able to get it to work- you just have to push your cart in really hard and fast so it will take. She even stayed to help me get mine on- but it made it! Here is my cart going down the escalator.
I asked my friends who live here, Lianne and Candace, if these kind of carts at Targets are "normal" and they said that they are pretty typical of stores here- that many are 2 levels and thus have these carts. Candace said that when she lived in NYC, she used them all the time at the Costco. I have just never seen anything like it before- and have finally used it, my pride only slightly damaged.

3 comments:

Brekke said...

Congrats on the successful use of the cart escalator. I've seen one here at the Ikea, but I'm too scared to use it. I figure I don't need something that badly.

shabba shabba said...

Would you believe I never saw one of these cart escalators until we moved to the Middle East? I thought the Arabs were one up on us, but I guess not. California's out in front, but Amman, Jordan's not far behind.

Stacy said...

We have a 2-story Target with a cart escalator here in Seattle, too. I think this was the first one I've seen, too.