Saturday, September 1, 2007

THE MOVE

This is William here, writing for the first time in this blog (under much duress from my wife who insists that this is ours and not just hers). Anyway, as far as interesting things go, I guess I ought to talk about our move out here. When I was choosing a moving van, I went on the Budget rental site and it said that you should choose the small truck for a studio, but I had a bed, table & chairs, coffee table, and all of Cheryl's stuff so to be on the safe side I went for the bigger 16' truck that moves 1-2 room houses. Well, I make my reservations and show up on the appointed day a month later, but Budget didn't have any of the 16' trucks and so they did me the favor of upgrading me free of charge to the 24' truck that comfortably moves a 12 room house, and you don't even have to box things up. Here's a lengthwise picture.
I affectionately called this 18 wheeler "The Beast". When most mobile homes only get 5 gallons to the mile, I was so proud that the beast managed to get 10 gallons to the mile. The beast also had this great "anti-drowsiness" feature that prevented the driver from falling asleep called "no shocks". The teeth chattering ride kept me alert and attentive for the whole 15 hour ordeal. The beast also had great acceleration. The beast go from 0 to 40 MPH in just under 6 minutes, and it could maintain a top speed of 55 MPH if you weren't going uphill. The beast ruled the road. People would swerve way out of their lane to pass us. I think it was because the beast was so utterly intimidating, my wife says it's because the beast was 1.5 lanes wide. My wife followed behind me in the car the whole way, though I doubt that 'cause I never saw her. Then again, I never saw the 15 cars that were tailgating me down this narrow road until I turned off the road and they all angrily sped on by.

Anyway, as you can see below, there was plenty of room for all of our stuff in this luxury moving machine.
This story has an interesting PS. My brother had to move the next month to Minnesota (of all places) and he actually requested the 24 footer. Here's a picture of the same size truck for the same size family. As you can tell, one of these brother's is not like the other.

2 comments:

Cheryl and William said...

You forgot that your mother kindly helped us with the drive and did a good portion of driving "the beast". She is definitely my heroine because there was no way in the world that I was driving it!

Unknown said...

I would say that 'one of these brothers not being like the other' is a very good thing! I like stuff. Stuff is good.