Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Time Capsule

My dear friend from my freshman year and also my European travel buddy last summer, Michelle Scullin, and I got together for dinner and then chatted at my house afterwards. We looked at this book from the series entitled "The Brick Testaments" and this one is about "The Ten Commandments". Basically, this guy has created pictures out of LEGOS illustrating stories from the Bible. This book focuses on Moses in the Book of Exodus from his being placed in the basket to the ark of the covenant. It is actually quite clever and fun to look at. He has a website- check it out if interested. I found it at the San Francisco airport when I was waiting to fly to Utah in the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art store they have there. What a gem of a find. I digress- while we were examining this book, I remembered something from the past . . . . THE TIME CAPSULE.

When I was in Young Women's at our church, on February 26, 1997, for one of our activity nights, we assembled our own individual time capsules. They are in the metal dry pack cans and we got to seal them up. I was supposed to open it the night before I got married- WHOOPS. That day is 4 months overdue. So, Michelle was here to witness the event. I had forgotten what I had put in there- and for a good reason. Much of it was LAME.

Here's a list of the contents.
1. Front page of the Deseret News on Feb 26, 1997- main article about people being invited to sleep in famous rooms at the White House.
2. Shopko Ads- why, I have no idea. Maybe to compare prices? The M&M bags were on sale for $2 which is still a good deal today
3. 2 toys from Wendy's Kids Meals (My friends and I used to go at least twice a week during high school to Wendy's- and the kids meal was the best because you got the mini frosty to dip your fries in). The toys themselves are pretty lame- a little pin ball maze and some "watch" (no way to tell time) but had a little scene inside.
4. An Old Navy sack- this was my favorite store at the time
5. The most recent edition of our high school newspaper- The Colt Roundup, with a headline of "Student Brodcasters Extraordinaire" of Jen Vetterman and Tya Godfrey- and nothing of real relevance in the rest of the paper.
6. Ad for the U2 Pop Mart Concert- my first one that made me a convert- that we had tickets for on May 7, 1997
7. Movie ads for Star Wars and the Empire Strikes Back since they were just re-released in the theaters at that time (yes, it is pathetic but that was my first time EVER seeing them)
8. The top 10's- tv shows (1.ER and 2. Seinfeld), movies (1. Star Wars and 2. Absolute Power), Videos (1. Bambi and 2. Riverdance), and Music (1. Wannabe by Spice Girls and 2. Un-Break my Heart by Toni Braxton). Oh the classics. This was actually one of the more INTERESTING things that I included
9. Signatures of some of the girls in my class like Mindie Recksiek, Brooke Zentner, and Sara Summerhays to name a few- (just in case any of them became famous- I'm sure they are already treasuring mine :-)
10. Magazine Ads- for J Crew (I don't know why- I only have like 2 items from them ever), the latest pastel trends, Hard Candy nail polish, a kitchen, the outside of an "English" house (what it said in the article), and a red car- the ever luxurious Chevy Cavalier (very different from my silver Honda accord that I now have), photos of prom dresses, picture of Winnie the Pooh and Company (I was into them- I still have my Eeyore wallet), 3 photos of Leonardo DiCaprio (I was a bit obsessed after Titanic first came out), a photo of George Clooney, one of Chris O'Donnell (I actually got to see him at Boston College since he's an alumni), and Sean Connery. Oh- and also my horoscope (I'm a leo) and my favorite part is "There happens to be a new guy on your horizon- if you are interested. But you might have to go somewhere unusual to find him". Little did I know that "on the horizon" meant about 9 years later in Boston.
11. A 1996 penny
12. a "things to do" piece of paper- with nothing listed on it
13. red sparkly streamers/filler- to add a bit of color
14. Lists from my church class and a school class about how they would describe me- all having to be "nice". Here's my person favorite- from someone who didn't sign their name "Food is good" (I do have to agree with that!) and another is "Hope ya have a great day"- from Jason P (not quite sure who most of these people are on the list)
15. A list of my "predictions" for the future- my favorite is what I will be in the next 10 years- "College Grad (yeah!!!! I did that one) and Nobel Prize Winner". Yeah, so that one DEFINITELY did not happen- but if you aim for the moon and miss, you'll at least land among the stars :-). Oh- my other favorite is what my husband's career will be- I put "whatever". Yea! So William fulfills that!
16. A Silica Gel Packet to keep all of this great stuff preserved and fresh

BUT, here is the crowning jewel of them all- my LISTS. Yes, I loved to keep lists- I had a "Babe list" of guys who are cute but have great personalities as well (1st is Christian Bale), "Sexy Old Men" (1st and the best is Sean Connery), the "Wife Beaters" aka guys who look good in a wife beater tank top (1st Tom Cruise), and the personal favorite- the "KNOCK list" of code names we had for guys at our high school who we thought were cute. Number 1 was "WD 40" and another one of my faves was "FM 100"- but I'm definitely NOT telling you what their real names are :-)

These lists and predictions were the best part about it, as well as the top 10 lists. Other than that, the majority of the stuff in my time capsule was LAME and I was like "Why did I put that in there???????"

Hmm- what would be good to put in a time capsule now? I at least have a LONG list of what NOT to put in ;-)

No comments: