Sunday, April 6, 2008

Bouquets to Art

One of my favorite events to attend at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston is their annual "Art in Bloom" where local garden clubs pick a piece of art from the museum and create a floral arrangement that represents that piece. Fortunately for me, they have a similar concept at the De Young Museum of Art here in San Francisco. And to be honest, I think it is even better than Art in Bloom. Why? Because they had SO MANY floral arrangements. At the MFA, they would have maybe 1 in a room, but at the De Young, they had at least 4-5 arrangements in most rooms. And since they have lots of modern art, some of the arrangements could be very creative.

Here are a few of my favorites. I think the garden group did a great job of capturing all of the colors of the piece and presenting them in an abstract way like the painting.
I also really like the replicated V shapes on this.
I liked how they were able to shape the different reeds into these intricate shapes.
The flowers here are placed on glass to give this effect.

And just in case you haven't had enough, here are more that you can look at. I think that next time I won't go on a Saturday (too many people) and probably earlier in the week because some of the flowers were already dying by then. But, I'll be back for next year.

2 comments:

CS said...

oh Cher! I love the flowers! I had never seen that at the MFA, I was definitely missing out. and the ice cream sandwiches sound SO good. :) you should become a food reviewer when you're done with your phd. after all that work, you deserve it.

Mel said...

I miss the MFA and all the other fun museums in Boston. I hadn't heard of Art in Bloom though, I would have liked to have seen it.