Monday, April 21, 2008

Massachusetts Memories: Marathon Monday

How's that for alliteration :-) So, it is an official holiday today in Boston called Patriot's Day or Marathon Monday. On this day, many of the schools and businesses (except Brandeis- they are lucky that Passover happens this time) get the day off. I ran a half marathon a few years ago and I have ZERO desire to ever run a marathon. But, I do love to support friends who decide to run in it. It is much more exciting when you have people you know and can cheer them on. Last year, my dear friend Janae achieved her dream and ran the marathon- and I actually got to see her and cheer her on!!! Unfortunately, my camera was too slow to capture her. It is so incredible to see so many people running. When I went to Boston College, I used to watch at the top of "Heartbreak Hill"- the steepest part of the marathon where after that, most of the rest is downhill. I remember some college kids watched the marathon and cheered the loudest for people who had their names or other items on themselves. It really touched my heart to see everyone come together like that.

The Patriot's Day aspect starts even days before with different re-enactments leading up to the Battle of Lexington. I went to one of these with my Snack Pack (aka. Ryan Keller) back in April of 2006 of the capture of Paul Revere.

We headed out to the Battle Road between Lexington and Concord where the group picked him up- complete with soldiers and fife and drums.
And one year, I even made it to the Lexington Battle Green EARLY in the morning (like 5:30) to see the re-enactment of the battle. It was really amazing- this is pre-digital camera days so I don't have any photos. I remember several people coming with me, including Michelle Munson, Melissa Spencer, Maryanne Condie, and a couple of others. It was pretty cold, but we ended getting a great spot where they all came out and then retreated. The funniest part is that people bring LADDERS and stand on them to watch the battle. Also, people sat out on roof tops to watch it. There was even a foggy mist out on the field when they came out to fight in all of their garb. In all my years in Boston, I only did this once because my first 2 years I didn't have a car and then I had class at Brandeis and last year it got rained out.

Ahh- the Boston memories of this day. At least William and I went and did something fun tonight and saw the Forbidden Kingdom :-)

No comments: