Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Pumpkin Heaven Deliciousness

I am a huge fan of pumpkin, yet, not pumpkin pie. There's something about the texture that just really bothers me. But, I LOVE other pumpkin items- pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, breads, ice cream. But, my absolute favorite I discovered last year. My friend Alecia made this dessert called pumpkin dessert squares and I was in complete hea-ven. I demanded the recipe and she reluctantly it to me- mostly because it is somewhat pricy. It is a jar of Muirhead Pecan Pumpkin Butter that you buy from Williams and Sonoma- thus, it is like $10 a jar (I did manage to get like $2 off). Alecia said that she had tried other pumpkin butters, but they just weren't as good. It also involves a yellow cake mix to provide the great crumbly texture on top. I think that the bars are better after they have fully cooled- they were still good warm out from the oven. While it is an expensive dessert, it is SO WORTH IT. I ate nearly 2/3rds of the pan over the weekend while William was gone- he isn't a pumpkin fan at all. I have one more jar and I am saving it for a little while later before making it. And I want to share the recipe so that everyone can have a little pumpkin heaven deliciousness.

Muirhead Pecan Pumpkin Butter DESSERT SQUARES


Preheat oven to 350° F. Divide yellow cake mix, placing all but one cup in a mixing bowl. Stir in 1/2 c. melted butter and one egg into the cake mix. Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9" × 13" pan. Mix the jar of Muirhead Pecan Pumpkin Butter with two eggs and 1/2 c. milk. Pour this result over the cake mix. Stir the reserved 1 cup of cake mix with 1 tbsp flour, 1/4 c. sugar, 1/4 c softened butter, and 1 tsp cinnamon. Mix together until crumbly. Sprinkle over top of the pumpkin layer. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into "2 squares
.

1 comment:

Eliza said...

Other than the Williams-Sonoma filling, which I'm sure is a definite improvement, this is just like an old recipe from my file. Here's the filling ingredients that I was given, in case you want to try:
15oz pumpkin
1/2c brown sugar
1 1/2t cinnamon
1t allspice combination
2 eggs
2/3c milk