Sunday, November 25, 2007

A Day of Giving Thanks

I began my Thanksgiving morning by babysitting for 2 nine month olds while their parents all ran a 5 K. This experience made me very grateful, on two accounts. First, I was so glad that I didn't sign up for the race because I had been sick earlier in the week. Second, I was so thankful that I have not yet (and no time in the near future) have been blessed with kids. Fortunately, Tyler slept most of the 3 hours, but Leah was awake for most of it. She cried for about 20 minutes in her crib and I feel bad if they cry for too long so I played with her. She was truly fascinated by CHEERIOS. For 30 minutes they entertained her as she would grab one or two with her fist and then shove them in her mouth. It was funny because she had to be holding a couple in her other hand but would never eat those- it was just a comfort to hold them. I could see that she was getting tired but was nearing a meltdown, but thank heavens for the X-Box. I was babysitting at the friends house and they have one of those screens that changes shapes and colors while music is playing so she actually became so mesmerized by it that she fell asleep on me. She slept for 30 mins on me and then Tyler woke up so I went to go put her down and she immediately woke up and started screaming. I don't know how parents of twins do it because it is hard to try to carry both at the same time. I didn't attempt it- I would put one down and run and get the other. After having their naps, both babies were in great moods, so it was fun to play with them. Tyler is hilarious and doesn't crawl but rolls around to move- like a steamroller. He's quite fast so you have to keep an eye on him. Couldn't catch him doing it, though.

Leah has such a great laugh- it sounds like she's faking it because its like "Ha". Here she is doing it
So cute- here they are playing together. Their parents say that Leah is betrothed to Tyler
I was grateful that I had the opportunity to play with these adorable little kids and have extreme admiration for all of those mothers, for their never ending energy and patience. And what great parents are Leah's and Tyler's to have such good babies.

Then, I returned home to fix our dishes for the Thanksgiving feast. I found this recipe for sweet potatoes on Google and was quite nervous as to how it would turn out, but given that it has so much sugar, pecans, and marshmallows (oh- and a little sweet potato to go with it), it was actually a big hit! Everyone loved it- although you can only have a little more than one helping since its so rich. We also did mashed potatoes and drinks. William made this white hot chocolate, but it was a bust- mostly due to the almond extract we added at the end. At least we had one success- and lots of other drinks to compensate.

We went over to our dear friends who also live in our apartment complex- the McPhie's- for the dinner. They were in charge of the turkey and did an AWESOME job. Rachel brined the turkey (marinating it in apple juice and spices for over 24 hours) and it was SO good- the turkey was incredibly most and delicious. Here is her husband Scott carving it up-

There were 4 other couples from our ward that joined us- the Layton's (with baby Leah), the Murdock's, the King's, and the Johnson's. Everyone brought INCREDIBLE food- literally, EVERYTHING was so delicious! Here's a photo of the spread
We all sat down to eat and then we each went around the circle and said one thing that we were grateful for. Scott went first and said "eternal marriage" (probably what everyone would have said) so I did the next thing that was on my mind- health. I was sick for a while and unable to do very much and so it just made me so grateful that it was only temporary and that I have a body that can do so much. William said that he was grateful for work- that it is an eternal principle and that he now has a job that he really enjoys. This was my favorite part of the day because these are all people that I too am grateful for. They have welcomed us and extended hands of fellowship and friendship to us that has made this transition to California so great.

After stuffing ourselves silly, we waddled over to the park where a few played football or frisbee, but I could only sit and digest. William had the right idea by laying down and having a little nap.

We had a great time talking and laughing at the park- especially listening to Travis tell his story about how he chased down a guy who broke into someones car- only to have stolen Harry Potter!
And just look how cute little Leah is in her winter coat and beanie

William and I enjoying our second Thanksgiving together- the 1st of our married lives.


When then had dessert- pies and cheesecake (a delicious gingerbread one with an out-of-this world crust!) and then played MAFIA. It has been YEARS since I played this game, but it was still just as rousing and entertaining as ever. People truly get so animated and passionate about the game (I admit, a little of that might come from me) and then there are others who don't say a word- and THEY turn out to be the mafia. Good times were had by all on this day of thanksgiving.

Here are a few of the other blessings that I am truly grateful for-

- My sweet William
- My dear family
- My new family for welcoming me in
- the gospel of Jesus Christ
- temples and eternal families
- my testimony
-MY HEALTH- truly invaluable and you don't really appreciate it until your sick
- dear, dear friends who inspire me and support me from all over the country (and world)
-the scriptures and the guidance they provide
- being able to teach Sunday School with my husband
- that we have great Sunday School kids
-the warmth of California
- the eased stress of my current life
- being able to finally have time to work on my writing and research
- being ABD - just need the dissertation for my PhD!
- having the opportunity to teach my own class at Brandeis
- being able to publish with my mentor- on several occasions
- my trials, since they do teach me so much (I still am trying to be better about this one)
- traveling
-reading good books
-a comfortable apartment since I spend most of my day here
- the Internet- what a blessed invention. There is no way that I could do my phd and research from California without it
- lappy (my laptop)
- ice cream and gummies
- crying at a movie (I'm such a baby that I cry even at not supposed to be sad ones)

I really just am so grateful to the Lord for so richly blessing my life, and for giving me such great people to share it with.

1 comment:

mj said...

i feel awful that leah cried so much when you were watching her. she does love those cheerios, though. thanks so much for doing that...it was really nice to run the 5k without pushing a heavy jogging stroller. so fun to have thanksgiving with you guys.