Wednesday, November 21, 2007

A Little Something for Everyone

Generally, I feel as if I am continually dragging William to different museums, and he always goes and seems to like it- or just tolerate it sometimes. However, on Saturday, we went to his kind of museum. Its called the Exploratorium up in San Francisco and it is awesome. They have all of these hands-on exhibits showing some of the cool, fun, and unusual aspects of science, and they also provide a brief explanation as to the principles guiding how it worked. I like it because its fun and you feel like you learn something (although I still will never fully understand physics and some electronic mechanics). William was in HEA-VEN. We spent 4 hours there and still didn't finish seeing everything, for which he was quite disappointed. I loved seeing how excited he got at testing out each station, sometimes explaining to me how the mechanisms work (doesn't mean I fully got it), and especially when he had epiphany's that he had never had before. I enjoyed it myself, but even more because I LOVED seeing William get this excited about a museum. Here are a few photos of us trying out some of the exhibits.

Another example of the "tools of translation" that I taught my students in my biology sections at BYU. This is definitely a more expensive model than mine made out of transparencies.

This sticker for entrance PERFECTLY explains William- always logical.
He'll do nearly anything for a drink of water when he's thirsty
Here I am being spun around in a chair while the bike wheel is spinning

We lucked out and got a SWEET parking space- right near the entrance! That never happens- so it was a sign it was going to be a great day. After getting kicked out at the museum closing, we walked around the exterior. I have been to San Francisco many times before moving here with my family, but I've never been here. I absolutely LOVED it. I totally enjoyed the museum, but I just LOVED this- it had become my new favorite place of San Francisco. It reminds me of my beloved public garden in Boston- it is so cute, romantic and beautiful. It's called the Palace of Fine Arts and it is just beautiful- and we hit it at the perfect time at twilight.

This is my personal favorite

Afterwards, we drove to Ghiradelli Square and got one of our favorite sundaes- so yummy!

Then we walked around the wharf a bit and shared clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl. Soooo good and savory. We did it in reverse order to ensure that we had enough room to truly enjoy our ice cream.

All in all, there was a little something for each one of us today.

No comments: