Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The National Museum of Nature and Science

After the Western Art Museum, I went to the National Museum of Nature and Science that was right next door. Outside was a large model of a blue whale.

The museum was divided into two sections- Japan Gallery and the Global Gallery. This museum really did not have very many English translation signs so I cruised through much of it fairly fast, especially in the Japan section as they had a lot of unique plant and rock species. But, the global gallery was much more interesting and had computer terminals where you could read about the exhibits in English. They had a huge room full of taxidermy animals- or "stuffed animals" as the English translation read. See, I did see some pandas in Japan- they just weren't alive.

They also had lots of dinosaur skeletons of both land and sea animals


One of the most amazing things I saw was a complete replica skeleton made out of WOOD. So incredible the amount of detail.

It was fun to go through the museum as it was nearby, it was raining, and I didn't have enough time to go anywhere else before closing time at 5. But, I wouldn't put this on my "must see" list in Tokyo

1 comment:

Ly + Alan said...

those poor stuffed pandas.


It looks like you had an awesome time in Japan though Cher we miss you!!!