Sunday, May 11, 2008

Tribute to My Mother

To the woman who whom I would not be here today. Every thing that I am is due to her continual love and sacrifice for me. We even have the same birthday- (I'm sorry to have caused you that much pain on our first sharing the day together!) which I am so honored to be able to share the day with a woman like you. You have taught me the importance of placing what is most important to you at the forefront of your life, even at the expense of other things. It wasn't until I was already an "adult" that I realized just how much you "sacrificed" for me and my sisters. You willingly gave up an active medical practice so that you could be at home with us. Some may call what you did a "sacrifice", but I know that you never think that because we were of greatest importance to you. And I know that who we have become today is because of your mothering. You and Dad always took us on vacation with you both showing to us that the family unit was most important to you- (sorry that some of those vacations involved fighting from us). You set the standard of hard work in whatever endeavor through your example of getting both a medical degree and an MBA. And for the countless hours that you spent helping us with our homework and school projects. I remember that I had the most beautiful and creative Valentine's Box with a red heart and mailbox with your help. I also remember the most amazing mobile of all time of Jason and the Argonats in 5th grade where you found actual lambs wool for the sheep skin. I am so grateful that you had each of us play the piano throughout high school so that I am able to play the hymns and Children's Songbook (again, sorry for the difficulties in not practicing). I remember when you would stop after work at the Plasma Donor Center in Provo when I was at BYU to give me something that I had forgotten, or to take me to dinner to talk when I needed it. You have always been a great listening ear to comfort and reassure me- even when I was on the other side of the country stressing out about graduate school. But, what has made the greatest impression on me is your testimony of Jesus Christ and his gospel. You always had us participate in family home evening, preparing these elaborate lessons with flannel board stories and fun activities. But your most profound teachings have come from the way that you live the gospel. You attend the temple on a weekly basis, you spend amazing amounts of time on whatever lesson you are assigned to teach, you not only read but truly study the scriptures, and you have continually demonstrated Christlike charity and love to me through your service. It meant more than you will ever know to have you make a special trip out to Boston to be with me at the temple. I echo the sentiments of Abraham Lincoln who said “All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel Mother.” I love you Mom.

No comments: