Thursday, May 8, 2008

"We Don't Accept Gift Certificates"

For my dear, sweet amazing saintly mother for Mother's Day, I sent her a homemade card and a gift certificate to Dairy Queen so that she could get an ice cream cake. We LOVE those ice cream cakes in my family- especially my mom loves the chocolate chip cookie dough one- so since I couldn't "mail" one to her, I sent her a DQ gift certificate early so that she could have it in time to celebrate on actual Mother's Day. My mom was so excited about this that she immediately went out to the Dairy Queen we most frequent near Cottonwood Mall and they actually had the cookie dough ice cream cake. She is up at the register paying for it when they say to her "We don't accept gift cards." WHAT???? A Dairy Queen doesn't accept their own gift card??!!!??? It just doesn't make sense at all to me. I mean, I know that each franchise is "independently owned and operated" but I do know that they have to follow their larger company standards and it just makes zero sense to me that one of the company standards is to accept gift cards at all locations. My mom is a good sport about it and so she is going to look online to determine if there are any close Utah locations that accept gift cards. If not, I told her to buy the cake and I will reimburse her for it and use the DQ card at the one by our house. William was joking around and said that the one by us when I take the card in will say "We don't accept gift cards either- we just sell them". Good thing I sent the gift to my mom early so she has a chance of working through this fiasco!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Funny post! That is wild. I work for a company that manages and tracks gift cards and we blog about gift card issues on savvywallet.com.It's rare that stores won't accept their own gift cards. You're right on. Franchise don't necessarily have to honor company coupons, gift cards, or promos. It's a way for the individual franchise to manage their own revenue. I"m only speculating, so here's my theory. I hope you can follow me: Since the gift card was purchased elsewhere, the other store already made the money. So for another store to accept gift cards, they aren't making money, essentially. Gift cards are typically corporately managed. So, the franchise doesn't get to consider it as their OWN income. Just a thought.

Brekke said...

That is ridiculous! Are they running a business or what?