Sunday, December 7, 2008

Durer to Picasso

On Saturday, I went and saw the new exhibit at the Stanford Museum of Art, Durer to Picasso. It was composed from the museum's collection. I am very impressed by the collection that they have, and it is FREE admission. They had 3 Rembrandt etchings, 3 Goya etchings, and one of my new favorite etchers, Albrecht Durer. He followed after Rembrandt's style of etching, making a sketch on a copper plate and then using acid to eat through it before placing ink on it to make an impression on paper. It is a fairly complex process but produces amazing results. He did a series called the "Engraved Passion" about the events leading up to the Savior's death and resurrection. The detail was so intricate and conveyed so much emotion that it brought tears to my eyes. Also on display in the exhibit was a Tiffany vase, a Munch, a Diego Rivera, photos by Edward Weston, works by Miro, Braque, and a Picasso painting. It was great. I then walked around through the rest of the museum- I didn't realize just how big it is and what an extensive collection they have. I knew that they had LOTS of Rodin, but they also had some Chihuly glass work, a Matisse, a Klimt, photos by Ansel Adams, a Georgia O'Keefe, a Degas, Monet, and Renoir to name just a few. I'm so lucky to live just a short drive from viewing such great art for FREE.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

I share your admiration for these etchings and the process involved in creating such masterpieces.

These Durer woodcuts depict a lot of biblical scenes, including my favorite "Presentation of the Virgin", a very powerful piece.

The Descent from the Cross, a Rembrandt etching, is another powerful biblical scene.


And then a much more lighthearted use of etching, is this Picasso etching, where Picasso combines the medium with aquatint, another really cool print technique.

Thanks for this post!