Sunday, March 22, 2009

Great Wall of China at Badaling

They say that if you haven't been to the Great Wall, you haven't been to China. I was able to go and climb part of the Great Wall at Badaling. This is the best restored portion of the wall and has a fairly steep section. I was glad that it was restored because they had hand railings. Given the large amounts of snow and slippery steps, the railing was the only thing preventing me from tumbling down the Great Wall.

It was incredible beautiful to see the Great Wall covered in snow- and I did warm up a bit after so many stairs.

Me at the base of the wall, before the ascent up the steep side

This was the not as steep side of the wall- still picturesque but tour guide Jacky Lee promised even better views from climbing the steep side so I had to follow his advice.

Straight up the wall

Here's my proof that I did climb pretty far up the Great Wall

Despite the horrible weather, you can see that many more tourists chose to also climb the wall.

Honestly, it was one of those surreal events to have climbed the iconic Great Wall of China. Words can't adequately do it justice- fulfillment of a dream.

No comments: