Monday, March 2, 2009

Water Cube

After watching the Summer Olympics in 2008, I was super excited to visit the Olympic venues. Jacky Li helped me by getting me a taxi and instructing the driver to take me directly to the Olympic park. Had I not gotten this taxi, I wouldn't have made it before the venues closed. For only 30 yuan, I was able to enter the Water Cube and wander around.

The bubbles are made of this unique material. They had a sample of it

The panels are not very thick

Here's a view of the bubbles from the inside

I didn't realize that there was a separate practice pool also inside the cube.

I also liked the electricity running to fuel the drinking fountains (a rare sight for Beijing!)

I was able to go into the seating area near the main pool and diving area. A-MA-ZING. So incredible


What I didn't know is that they have TONS of water cube themed merchandise- I saw a cell phone with the design, pen holders, models, key chains, t-shirts- you name it, they had a signature item for it.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Cheryl!!! I am so jealous that you got to see the water cube! From what I saw on tv it looks like the kind of pool that is every swimmer's dream. I am sorry it has been so long since I have written to you- I hope that things are going well for you. I miss you!